Number 24

Number 24

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Home at Last


Yesterday (Wednesday) morning they came into the hospital room to tell us that they are sending us home. I think any time they send you home early it is a good thing.  So Jordon finished up his last intrathecal (spinal) injection recovered for a couple hours, waited for my mom to get up there to help us, then we headed home.

On the way home Jordon just wanted to talk, no radio.  Over the last few weeks he has said very little to me about his treatments and cancer but from our talk last night he understands EVERYTHING.  He doesn't seem worried or scared he just wants to do whatever it takes to get rid of the cancer and go about life as normal.  He made a comment to me that he was going to invent/discover a "bug" that people with cancer swallowed and then the bug would enter the body and eat away all the cancer, then the person would "get rid" of it.  He used the normal boy term but for publicized purposes we will say "get rid of".  I think to myself that there may be a bug out there like this.  I mean they have bugs that only eat wood, or only live on fish, certainly there is one out there that only eats cancer.  What a creative thought!  Jordon then told me that he thought what the doctors were doing was his best option and even though there are certain procedures he would rather not have, he knows he must do them and he is ready and willing to continue (in so many words).  The doctors have done a great job explaining everything to him and I think that he has been able to deal with a day at a time, live like a boy, and doesn't worry about tomorrow.

On the way home I also thought about what our last three weeks have been like.  Looking over them I think, "how did we do it."  I am quickly reminded that we did not do it alone and that without our faith in Him, it would not have been possible.  I also see how the Lord provided us with information that we could handle.  If we would have went into the hospital and been told immediately that Jordon had cancer, we may have been totally mentally unprepared.  Although I am not sure anyone can fully prepare for something like this, the Lord gave us several days to think about and prepare for the fact it may be cancer.  We went in on a Friday and didn't have a definite diagnosis till Tuesday.  I also thought about how this brought us closer to Him and has shown us how to lean on Him in times like this.  I am reminded of a story I once heard in church about an older married couple driving down the highway, when they passed a younger couple in a truck.  The older woman observed that the younger woman in the truck was sitting as close as she could next to the younger man in the truck.  The older woman turned to her husband and asked why they didn't sit that close to each other anymore.  The husband responded that he was not the one that moved.  I sometimes find myself being that older woman, and in situations like this the Lord often reminds me that He is not the one that moved.

When we got home what a wonderful welcome Jordon received!  His friends and their families greeted us and made him feel WONDERFUL!  We had a party on our front porch.  I know times like this help Jordon.  It is certain to take his mind off of things like the hospital, because when he sees his friends, he is a 10 year old boy.  NOT a child dealing with cancer.  He is a baseball player and a soon to be 5th grader.  NOT someone that is going to spend one week out of three in a hospital.  He is a STAR!  We dearly love him.

Prayers for tonight are that Jordon stay healthy in between hospital stays.  Prayers that our trips back and forth to St. Louis will be safe.  Prayers that the decisions we make as parents are the Lords will.  Praises that the Lord has brought us this far and even though we sometimes move He never does!

No comments:

Post a Comment